Mountain safety program
Mountain Safety Programs in the Mountain National Parks are a branch of Parks Canada dedicated solely to the purpose of Public Safety.
Mountain Safety Programs Specialists are Parks Canada staff members who are entrusted to provide world-class Search and Rescue and Avalanche Safety services to visitors who want to experience its National Parks. Mountain Safety Specialists aim to provide visitors with as much information and guidance as possible in order for them to make informed decisions that will allow them to enjoy a variety of activities.
Mountain Safety Specialists want visitors to Canada’s Mountain National Parks to have meaningful, safe and enjoyable experiences.
The Mountain Safety Programs in the Mountain National Parks are part of Parks Canada’s commitment to Public Safety.
The Parks Canada Mountain Safety Program’s purpose is to:
- Provide a 24/7 backcountry emergency response program
- Maintain the highest standards and certifications through intensive training for its personnel
- Deliver public avalanche information and promote avalanche awareness
- Support inter-agency cooperation between others groups and agencies devoted and connected to public safety and mountain recreation
- Encourage information and knowledge sharing
- Promote public self-sufficiency and responsible mountain travel
- Safeguard highway corridors from the threat of avalanches
- Be friendly, approachable and non-judgmental
The Parks Canada Mountain Safety Program strives to:
- To be a world leader and innovator in mountain safety and to provide the public with professional Search and Rescue and Avalanche Safety services.